This coming Saturday will be our famous LAKE PARTY. It and the Christmas party are our two main social activities each year and I’m looking forward to seeing everyone. There is no cost for members, and guests are only charged $10. What a deal! The event starts at noon, with lunch served at 1pm. Don’t forget to bring some cash as we will have some activities to support our chosen charity: Warrior Freedom Service Dogs. Representatives from this service dog organization will be present to do a short demonstration with a service dog and offer information on their mission.
The next 30 days are going to be busy. We have three annual activities where you can cool off in the water: first is the Lake Party on July 30th; second is the Float Trip down the Hiawassee River on August 7th (most of us use rubber duckies, but you can go by raft, kayak, canoe, inner tube, and I’ve even seen people on stand-up paddleboards going down the river); and third is the SUP/kayak party on August 20th. What better way to beat the heat! And if that isn’t enough to keep you busy as we approach the end of summer, we’ll be at Nightfall again on Friday night August 26th. The club will have a booth to let people know that Chattanooga has a ski club, and that while we do a lot of skiing, we do so much more. If you want to help us at the booth talk to potential members, that is great; but if you just want to relax and enjoy the music with other members, that is great too.
Speaking of skiing, our second ski trip this winter will be to Park City, Utah. There are a lot of great reasons to take this trip:
- Two Side-by-Side Resorts - Park City/Canyons (since they merged before the 2014-15 season) and Deer Valley (where they groom the runs to perfection not just at night, but also during the day).
- Huge Area – Park City/Canyons itself is the largest ski resort in the United States with 7,300 lift served acres and 17 peaks to ski. There is plenty of terrain for all levels of skiers.
- Lots of Snow – Park City averages 355 inches of snow each year
- Ski Lifts in Town - Among the 43 lifts on the mountain are some that go onto Main Street in town, so you have lots of lunch options in addition to the places on the mountain
- Low Altitude (you don’t have to worry about altitude sickness, or getting winded from just walking, as we’ll be staying at 6,800 ft and the top of the highest lift is only at 9,998 ft;
- Short Ride from the Airport to the Lodging – the Salt Lake City International Airport is only 35-45 minutes away from Park City.
- The Bobsled Experience at Utah Olympic Park – for the adventurous, take a run on the 2002 Winter Olympic bobsled track. A professional pilot takes three passengers on a ride hitting 70 mph and experiencing 4-5 times the force of gravity.
Signups are continuing for our four 2022-2023 ski trips. If you haven’t put money down on a trip already, I highly recommend that you do it now. After the lake party, we will place our ski trips on the Crescent Ski Council’s website to help fill out our trips (and we already have some people from other clubs join us and sign up for our trips), so if you want to guarantee a spot on one of our trips this coming winter, you need to sign up at the lake party.
- Whistler BC January 21-28, 2023 Trip Leader Roy Brunner
- Telluride CO February 4-11, 2023 Trip Leader Beverly Cleek
- Park City UT February 25-March 4, 2023 Trip Leader Scott Kramer
- Kitzbühel/Scotland March 16-30, 2023 Trip Leader Jim Mullenix
Stay safe everyone,
Lake Party (& August Membership meeting) @ Blue Springs Club, 3858 Burning Bush Rd, Ringgold, GA – July 30, 2022 noon - ? https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-4864587
Hiwassee Raft Trip @ Webb Brothers Float Service – August 7,2022 noon – 6pm https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-3933037
SUP / Kayak Party @ Club house @Harbor Heights Subdivision, 3789 Kings Road – August 20, 2022 10am-4pm
Nightfall 2022 Promotion & Social @ Miller Park – August 26, 2022
September Membership Meeting @ TBD – September 6, 2022
Bourbon Trail @ Bardstown, KY – September 9-11, 2022
October Membership Meeting @ TBD – October 4, 2022
Len Foote Hike – October 21-22, 2022 https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-3235020
Crescent Ski Council Fall Convention @ Gatlinburg, Glenstone Lodge – October 28-30, 2022
November Membership Meeting @ TBD – November 1, 2022
Crescent Ski Council Race & Learn to Ski/Ride Camp @ Steamboat – December 3-10, 2022
Christmas Party (& December Membership meeting) @ TBD – TBD
Whistler/Blackcomb Ski Trip – January 21-28, 2023 https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-4813143
Telluride Ski Trip – February 4-11, 2023 https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-4813162
Park City Ski Trip – February 25 – March 4, 2023 https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-4813189
Kitzbühel / Scotland Ski / Touring Trip – March 16-30, 2023 https://chattanoogaskiclub.org/event-4818156
Crescent Ski Council Spring Convention @ Myrtle Beach – April 21-23, 2023
Virginia Creeper Bike Ride – TBD 2023