The Ski Club’s trip to Italy was a memorable experience for all 36 participants. Chattanooga area members traveled with others from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and New York. Our itinerary included the following:
- A Delta flight from Atlanta to Munich;
- A scenic bus ride through Germany and Austria to northern Italy;
- A week in Ortisei (Or-ta-sey) situated in the majestic Dolomite mountains where:
- We stayed in the very nice Hotel Hell (family name) which allowed us to say that we had been to hell and back and to also witness hell frozen over suggesting that the University of Tennessee might actually have a winning football season this year;
- Our skiers had great skiing in the world famous Sellaronda;
- Non-skiers enjoyed day excursions including a horse drawn sleigh ride, the Neustift Monastery & Wine Estate, visits to Brixen and Bolanzo, and the highest museum in Europe – Marmolada WW I Museo;
- A train ride to Rome where we spent three days visiting various sites including the Vatican, the Coliseum, Circus Maximus, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and the Catacombs;
- A stop for lunch and shopping in Naples;
- 3 days at a spectacular seaside hotel in Sorrento from which we visited Pompeii, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast;
- Return KLM flight from Rome to Atlanta via Amsterdam.
Our entire trip flowed with precision thanks to the marvelous planning and coordination by our Alpine Adventures guide, Ina Gerlach. Ina lined up world class hotels, meals, transportation, and guides which combined to provide a grand experience for all who had the privilege of enjoying the best of Italy.
Our Ski Club group quickly gelled into a happy, caring family with superb fellowship, mutual support, and a whole lot of laughter along the way. We were awed by Italy’s majestic scenery, rich culture and history, and wonderful hospitality in all of the places we visited. Our Italian adventure was truly a trip to remember and cherish!
Trip Captain, Don Drumm